Dickinson, Texas: Repair hurricane damaged homes
Hurricane Harvey devastated Dickinson, Texas, in August 2017. You can help repair homes for those who are still waiting for help.
When to Volunteer
Winter and Spring 2020
- Jan. 11- Feb. 1
- Feb. 1-22
- Feb. 22- March 1
- March 14- April 4
- April 4-25: On-site Manager Needed
Roles to Fill/Skills Needed
- Construction crew: Work will range from minor repairs to complete new builds and all home repair and reconstruction work in between. Those with home repair/reconstruction experience and helpers are needed. The World Renew DRS Volunteer Manager puts each team together with a balance of skill sets.
- Cook crew: A team of three cooks plan and prepare three meals a day for 18-25 people, Monday – Friday. Those with experience in preparing meals for groups as well as those willing to work in the kitchen are needed.
You will work with 18-25 other adults from across North America. Each team has a World Renew DRS on-site manager who manages the day-to-day operations of the team and a World Renew DRS a construction supervisor who manages the work projects.
Tools and Materials
World Renew DRS provides fully equipped tool trailers. Materials are provided by the local recovery group with whom we partner at each location.
18 years of age and up.
Housing is at a church. Bedrooms are provided for spouses. Individuals of the same gender may share rooms. Linens and towels are provided. There are common areas to spend your free time.
There are several hook-ups available for volunteers who are able to travel to the site with their own RV. This must be communicated to and approved by the World Renew DRS volunteer program manager in advance.
Meals are prepared by a team of volunteer cooks. Your team will eat breakfast and dinner together, Monday through Friday.
- Accommodations: Provided
- Meals: Provided Monday – Friday
- Travel is as follows, within the US and Canada only: -September through May: If you volunteer for the full three-week assignment, you are reimbursed for most of your travel to and from the site. If you volunteer for two weeks, you are reimbursed for one way to the site. If you volunteer for one week, travel costs are your responsibility.