World Renew staff in West Africa request urgent prayer for the negotiations between the Nigerian government and Boko Haram for the release of 219 kidnapped schoolgirls.
On Friday, the Nigerian government announced that a ceasefire agreement had been reached with the Islamist militant group known as Boko Haram. This agreement could mark the end of six months of captivity for 219 girls who were kidnapped from a school in Chibok, Nigeria back in April.
While this was joyous news, especially for the families of the kidnapped girls, it still requires urgent prayer. Despite the ceasefire agreement some segments of Boko Haram continued to launch attacks over the weekend.
Rev. Titus Pona, the chairman of the Borno State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria said that he believes a small subset of Boko Haram is not interested in a ceasefire and is responsible for the continued violence. After spending three days in prayer and fasting, he encouraged the Nigerian government to continue working with the majority to reach a peaceful resolution.
“We believe it is only a faction that is not interested in the peace process,” he said. “We believe that those interested in peace are in the majority. Government should also be sincere in dealing with the insurgents to ensure lasting peace.”
The Nigerian government is currently meeting with representatives of Boko Haram in Chad to continue the negotiations. World Renew asks everyone to join them in praying for these discussions and that a solution will soon be found that will bring the kidnapped girls home.