World Renew is committed to being part of a world where people experience and extend Christ’s compassion and live together in hope as God’s community.
The team at World Renew is compelled by God’s deep passion for justice and mercy to join communities around the world in renewing hope, reconciling lives and restoring creation.
Working from a well-developed base of support within the Christian Reformed Church in Canada, World Renew has formed solid foundations for their work in disaster relief ( domestic and international), rehabilitation, transformational community development and justice and advocacy work.
Director Donor Relations
The role of Director Donor Relations is well suited to a professional who has focused their skills and experience over the past 5-10 years of their career in the cultivation and maintenance of strong relationships with a broad base of donors to secure necessary funding; providing analysis and effective financial reporting to both major and mid-level donor relationships; while providing leadership and supervision to an active and effective team as well as overall oversight to the donor administrative systems within Canada.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of donor engagement, and having secured team development goals in the range of between $4-8Mill annually. With a physical presence in the Burlington area, the ideal candidate will be comfortable working from that region to enable the development of team goals as well as maintain a continued and active presence in the environment of World Renew.
- Provide joint leadership and strategic development for the World Renew Donor Relations efforts in collaboration with the U.S.A. Manager of Donor Relations and Advancement.
- Provide leadership and supervision of the Donor Relations team in Canada, which secures more than $4.5M in financial support annually
a. facilitate the annual planning process and establishing performance objectives for major and mid-level donor development in Canada in alignment with World Renew’s priorities
b. ensure the annual donor development plan for Canada is effectively implemented, and provide evaluation and upgrading of donor development activities
c. manage the Donor Relations budget in Canada; ensure accountability of Canadian Donor Relations staff for effective performance
d. provide the necessary knowledge, tools, skill training, and feedback to lead the team and individual member growth.
- Assist campaign leadership by participating as one of the Donor Relations team representatives on the Comprehensive Fundraising Campaign (CFC) Task Force. Responsible for ensuring that Donor Relations team plans and activities align to help meet CFC goals and priorities related to the team.
- Manage major donor relationships and accounts of about 100 assigned donors to achieve objective
a. prepare and implement contact plans for major donors; develop and deepen existing donor relationships through effective involvement strategies
b. develop and present funding proposals and case statements to individuals, businesses and donor groups
c. provide donors with relevant information to report on the application of donors’ gifts and increase their understanding and affinity for the ministry of World Renew
d. coordinate with the Marketing and Communications sub-team for the creation and production of materials that will increase the agency’s profile and reputation with donors
e. ensure personalized and timely receipting to major donors.
- Be the point of contact for Canadian constituents regarding planned estate giving
a. oversee the development of the Joseph Stewards legacy giving society in Canada
b. collaborate with an appropriate related organization such as Christian Stewardship Services in the promotion of planned and estate giving.
- Identify and address current trends that affect World Renew’s fund development plans and campaigns and its relationship with its donors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position will provide ongoing supervision for regionally based Donor Relations Managers, Sustaining Donor Manager, Administrative Specialist, and volunteers.
Qualifications and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Membership in a Christian church and agreement with the doctrine of the CRC signified by signing a covenant statement.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting a work environment that values diversity and equality, as well as have respectful relationships with others.
- Committed to working towards gender equality, equity, and justice in all aspects of our programming, plans, policies and organizational structure.
- Knowledgeable in the Reformed faith and tradition as practiced by the CRCNA, with an ability to articulate a biblical world and life view and to communicate enthusiasm for the ministry of World Renew.
- Thorough understanding of fund development principles including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship and how best to integrate these into donor involvement and support for World Renew.
- Ability to plan, manage and monitor a development budget and demonstrate return on investment of development activities.
- Flexible and adaptable team player; proven skills in collaborating with others; demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to express ideas clearly, listen with sensitivity.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of donor information; Self-directed, ability to work with limited direction and to set priorities in a multi-task context to ensure projects are completed and targets achieved.
- Well-developed writing skills, including prior experience writing proposals and donor reports; demonstrated competency in various computer applications, especially MS Word, Excel, Access, internet research and fundraising databases and Google products
- Ability to direct the activities of self and others to ensure projects are completed and targets achieve.
- Certificated Fundraising Executive or Credentialed Christian Nonprofit Leader (CCNL) or documented ability and experience and willingness to become qualified as a CFRE or CCNL.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in a related field such as business, marketing, or nonprofit management is preferred.
- At least five years of work experience in fundraising is required, with demonstrated ability in the area of major donor development including at least 3 years of experience in team management/leadership is preferred.
- Experience or exposure to international community development is a definite asset.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Travel of approximately 25% of working hours, within Canada and to the United States, including meetings during non-business hours and occasional overnight stays, is expected.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Travel within Canada and to the United States, including meetings during non-business hours and occasional overnight stays, is expected.
Please note, we do not sponsor employment in Canada, so you must have work authorization in Canada without sponsorship to be considered.
How To Apply
Our online application will allow you to apply to this role as a complete candidate –not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and culture fit, and should take about 10–15 minutes to complete. You can get a copy of your personality assessment when you are done by logging into the tool.
To begin the application process, please click this link.
Thank you to everyone who applies, but we will only be contacting those selected for further discussion.
If you, or someone you know, would like to start a confidential conversation about this opportunity, please contact:
Philip Smith | President
Philip J.W. Smith & Co.
Email: email@example.com (Subject line reading: “DonorRelations-WorldRenew”)