- Olancho, Honduras (1-2 months)
- South of Honduras (21-22 months)
- Tegucigalpa (2-4 weeks depending on how advance your Spanish is)..
Diaconia Nacional de Honduras (DN)
2 years (with language skills) with possibility of extension
Dates Opportunity is Available:
Contribute to the development and accomplishment of activities and goals within the PREVENTIVE HEALTH PROGRAM which includes the introduction and application of sustainable agricultural practices within the Preventive Health Program such as family vegetable gardens and better children’s nutrition in the South of Honduras. Support the Preventive Health program by weighing children and supporting with health and hygiene orientations.
- Coordination and planning with women’s groups for the development of the program activities.
- Provide advice and support on planting and maintaining vegetable crops and family gardens.
- Provide trainings in these areas with the goal of sustainable practices and independent communities.
- Coordinate and plan environment care awareness activities (e.g. community cleanup campaigns).
- Assist in the coordination and training of poultry breeding projects (If the volunteer possesses the experience, this is a possibility).
- Other program-related activities as assigned (for example weighing children, monitoring their weight and growth rate by filling out their health cards).
Desired result - introduction and cultivation of family vegetable gardens and better children’s nutrition in the South of Honduras within the Preventive Health Program.
The Volunteer should expect to spend about 20% of the time in the office and 80% in the communities.
Olancho, Honduras (1-2 months): The Volunteer will live with a host family in Guacoca and travel to the communities where the program is developed along with the Food Security Coordinator. Every Monday they will travel to the main office in Catacamas.
South of Honduras (21-22 months): The Volunteer will live with a host family in Choluteca and travel to the communities where the program is developed along with the Preventive Health Coordinator. Every Monday they will travel to the main office in Choluteca.
Tegucigalpa: At the beginning of each month for 3-4 days the volunteer will visit the DN main office to prepare reports, give updates and meet with both World Renew and DN staff.
The volunteer will have their headquarters in the city of Catacamas, Olancho (one month) and then in Choluteca, Choluteca (South) where it's extremely hot. Most of the time the volunteer will remain in Choluteca, having to travel to the communities where programs are developed. The communities are rural and the volunteer needs to be flexible in these harsher conditions.
Expectations of the volunteer:
1) Christ centered beliefs and behavior.
2) Openness to learn about Honduran culture.
3) Continue to develop Spanish language skills
4) Represent World Renew and themselves in a responsible manner.
5) Raise prayer and financial support by inviting individuals, businesses and /or churches to give to this opportunity;
6) Attend an orientation session in the Home Office
7) Adhere to World Renew Code of Conduct and Code of Best practices.