Learn more about LaBelle, Florida here.
Click here to see a video of the storm.
Site Partner: Florida United Methodist Conference Disaster Response
Leadership on Site: Experienced World Renew DRS Facilitators will be on site to provide leadership in worksites and connections with our local FL UMC Disaster Response partners in the Labelle area. More detailed information about which Site Leaders will be serving which weeks will be available in the near future.
Work: Drywall, painting, roofing, flooring, mold removal and demolition/clean-out. Many people are still living in homes with mold and just trying to “make do.”
People Being Served: The area around Labelle is ethnically-diverse, with some people in the area speaking primarily Spanish. We will be working with elderly people on fixed incomes, poorer people and families. Many people in the area are simply trying to “make do” the best they can and have been living for well over a year in homes with substantial issues.
Age Requirement: 14 years and older
Costs: Due to the significant distance to this particular site from the majority of our volunteer base, World Renew has allocated funds to completely cover the cost of housing groups in the Willis Dorm at Riverside Camp and Retreat Center. The only cost beyond travel that groups will need to plan on will be for food that you will prepare on site. Groups will be financially responsible for their food costs at the Labelle Facilitated Site. Construction materials will be covered by our site partners. As always, donations are always appreciated to help reduce expenses, but World Renew does not charge a fee for group mission projects.
Meals: Each group will be responsible for planning/cooking/cleaning up after their own meals. It is recommended that group leaders designate one person from their group to help plan how meals will work each week. If two smaller groups end up serving together, it would definitely be an advantage to work together on planning/preparing/cleaning up after meals. Please remember: each group is responsible for purchasing their own food while on this World Renew Facilitated Site.
Labelle Weather: Here
Housing: Riverside Camp and Retreat Center
• Willis Dorm: housing for up to 32 volunteers in bunk beds (2 bunk rooms which each sleep 16 people)
• Restroom/Showers connected to each bunk room
• Central Common Room with Large Kitchen
• 2 RV sites for Facilitators or Volunteers (if not needed by Facilitators)
• Laundry on site
• 200-acre riverfront camp property
• Swimming Pool with limited, pre-arranged access for groups
Camp Photos: Click here and here
Things to Bring:
- Sleeping Bag/Pillow/Sheets/Blanket
- (sleeping on bunk beds w/ mattress)
- Towel and bathroom items
- Work Clothes
- *Closed-toe shoes for job sites*
- *at least one pair of jeans/pants for some job sites*
- Work Gloves/Safety Glasses/Dust masks
- Casual Clothing for “downtime”
- Bible/Journal/Devotional Book
- Bug Spray
- Games/Frisbee/Football/Free Time Stuff
Yes, we are interested! Now what?
Contact Chris Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-848-5818.