VolunteerTarboro, North Carolina - DRS Reconstruction Site
This is in response to Hurricane Matthew from October 2016.
Hurricane Matthew hit 80% of the counties in North Carolina. Some areas were still under water two weeks after the hurricane. Shortly after Hurricane Matthew, World Renew DRS volunteers helped residents in Tarboro and Windsor, NC with clean-up. Week long volunteer groups have been helping with home repairs and a long-term reconstruction site opens in September 2017 in Tarboro.
- Program: Disaster Response Services
- Location: North Carolina, United States
- Type: Individual
- Length of opportunity: 2-4 Weeks
- Skillset needed: Cooks and reconstruction (reconstruction experience helpful but not required).
How to Volunteer
- If you are new to volunteering, please fill out and submit this Volunteer Application. Our Volunteer Program Manager will contact you to talk about next steps. You may also print off the application, fill it out, and mail it to World Renew DRS, 400 76th Street Suite 17, Byron Center MI 49315.
- If you have any questions or have already submitted your application, simply contact Diana at 800-848-5818 or email@example.com.
When to Volunteer
A full-length assignment is three weeks. You may, however, choose to volunteer for one or two weeks. See 'Cost' below for reimbursement details.
Fall 2018 dates:
- Team #1 Sept 15-Oct 6
- Team #2 Oct 6-Oct 27
- Team #3 Oct 27-Nov 17
- Team #4 Nov 17-Dec 8
Roles to Fill/Skills Needed
Construction crew: Work will range from minor repairs to complete new builds and all home repair and reconstruction work in between. Both those with home repair/reconstruction experience as well as those who can act as helpers are needed.The World Renew DRS Volunteer Manager puts each team together with a balance of skill sets.
Cook crew: A team of three cooks plan and prepare three meals a day for 18-25 people, Monday – Friday. Those with experience in preparing meals for groups as well as those willing to work in the kitchen are needed.
Tools and Materials
World Renew DRS provides fully equipped tool trailers. Materials are provided by the local recovery group with whom we are partnering.
18 years of age and up.
Housing and kitchen facilities are at a former county facility. Bedrooms are provided for couples. Individuals of the same gender may share rooms. Linens and towels are provided. There are common areas to spend your free time.
There are hooks ups available for four RVs/travel trailers each team.
Meals are prepared by a team of volunteer cooks. Your team will eat breakfast and dinner together, Monday through Friday.
You will work with 18-25 other adults from across North America. Each team has a World Renew DRS on-site manager who manages the day to day operations of the team and a World Renew DRS a construction supervisor who manages the work projects.
- Accommodations: Provided
- Meals: Provided Monday - Friday
- Travel is as follows, within the US and Canada only:
-If you volunteer for the full three-week assignment, you are reimbursed for most of your travel to and from the site.
-If you volunteer for two weeks, you are reimbursed for one way to the site.
-If you volunteer for one week, travel costs are your responsibility.
Project Managers: Rick and Bonnie Wiersma
Reconstruction partner organization: Eastern North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church